In general, anyone missing at least one tooth and healthy enough to undergo routine dental treatment, including tooth extraction, is probably able to undergo dental implant treatment. There are some medical conditions that warrant special consideration before placing dental implants. Certain chronic diseases, heavy smoking or alcohol abuse may contraindicate dental implant treatment.

If you already wear dentures but are psychologically uncomfortable with them (e.g. You lack confidence due to the appearance or poor fit of your false teeth) or find them physically diffcult (e.g. You cannot taste food properly due to the dentures), you should consider implants. You are never too old to get dental implants.

There are two things to keep in mind, however, when considering dental implants. First, they may not be covered by your dental insurance, although that is currently changing. Second, you will need to have the patience to wait three to eighteen months for the entire dental implant process to be completed, depending on the type of restoration that will best serve your needs.

9 thoughts on “Who Is a Candidate for Dental Implants ?

1. R. Hughes says:

No, but proceed with caution. We were treating patients for years prior to knowing about the issues with bisphosphonates. The issue is with i.v. bisphonates, with oral bisphosphonates it’s questionable.

2. J. Howard says:

I am being treated for rheumatoid arthritis with Remicade and methotrexate. My arthritis seems to be in remission and I’m wondering if I could be a candidate for dental implants.

3. evelyn says:

60 years old, 30+ years of periodonatal diseas, deep pockets 7-11, loose teeths, bone loss
    Had all of my uppers taken out, and 6 (middle) lowers waiting to heal
    can I consider inplants,and how long on average I can wait , when/ how soon does the bone starts to disolve
    thanks

4. sherry says:

My aunt is 92 years old, on Diabetes II regimen, has taken oral bisphosphonates (Fosamax) for several years after two hip replacements after falls and last year a fractured upper arm. Her dentist is sugggesting four implants. What are the factors we should take into consideration in making a decision between implants and an upper plate or bridgework?

5. emergency dental says:

Osteonecrosis is seen primarily those who are on IV bisphosphonates, not so much with the oral form. Dental implants can be done on patients taking oral bisphosphonates, but extra caution must be taken.

6. Helaine Gershkowitz says:

Hi
    I need to have a tooth replaced after biting down on something and splitting the tooth….A premolar on the upper right…

I have anticardiolipid antibodies, and took fosamax for a couple of years ….I stopped the fosamax about a year and a half ago and have not taken it since then

Would I have any reason to not be able to get a implant..
    Thanks so much for your time with this question
    I greatly appreciate your help..
    The tooth was damaged so badly that there is only half a tooth left, not enough to consider a crown…If I try and save the tooth I would have to go thru several procedures…because it broke under the gum line and almost to the bone….Please help me make a decision as to what to do..right now I have half a tooth and a temp filling in it….

7. Sarah Fridovich says:

I live in Lakeland, FL. I am 33 and have had my two front teeth knocked out. At around the same time I got pregnant and now he is two. I desperately want implants. I am also since getting a partial have had cavities start in a few back teeth. I hate it and want to get it fixed. I am determined now more than ever. Willing to travel but only have Medicaid and about five grand. I don’t know what my option is other than to try anything and go anywhere. Please notify me if u have any suggestions.