Nobel Active Implants: thoughts on failure issues?

I purchased the Nobel Active implant system, and thought it would be great. Unfortunately, I started getting implant failures with this implant system. Of 40 implants that I placed, 9 failed to integrate. I want to make it clear that all implants I placed in the last 5 years were via surgical guides and all of them had enough bone all around. I have had very good results with other implant systems I placed, such as Biomet 3i, MIS Implants (5% failure or less), and Hiossen Implants (I did not have any failures after 500 placements). Has anyone else had issues with the Nobel Active? Please share your experience, and any information why I maybe getting more failures from Nobel Active. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

11 thoughts on: Nobel Active Implants: thoughts on failure issues?

1. SAG says:

I have placed many thousands of Nobel Active implants with <1% late failures and close to zero failures to integrate. Perhaps you should have your Nobel representative visit the next time you are placing that system to make certain that you are using it correctly. Good luck.

• Eddie says:

I use active regularly last many years not failure
      Review your processing and protocols I advise review the recommendation and low torque and copious irrigation
      Good luck

2. Dipika says:

I had a failure with Hahn implant, placed with surgical guide. Patient had no sign of infection, pain, redness anything. I sent it back to the company to evaluate with their questionare completely answered, pictures and X-rays of follow up. Conclusion: implant was not defective and failures can happen!

3. Tim Carter says:

I have never used Nobel Active but the Perio Residency Program that I went to used them for a short while after I left. They stopped due to a higher than normal failure rate. I recently removed a failed All-on Four that was placed on Nobel Active. I have always thought that the thread pitch and degree of taper was too great, especially for cortical mandibular bone, and could lead to necrosis. For this reason I have steered clear of it and stayed true to Zimmer. The failed All-on-Four that I removed last week was in the mandible and could very well have been a result of necrosis. I have also noticed over the past 10-12 years that the Ti-Unite Nobel surface seems to respond very bad to any exposure.

4. Eddie says:

Active is not designed for very dense bone.
    If you don’t have failed implants there is something wrong with you but placing over 1200active and less than 1% failure is pretty amazing ) over 8years
    Mandible parallel CC is best
    Maxillly 6 mandible 4 implants is the way forward
    I use the Sweden and Marina Prama RF tissue level and shelta Bone level .. very good result in 2 years so far

5. Jay Lee says:

I would recommend you to check their lot numbers. If they were all from the same lot, you should report to Nobel Biocare.
    FYI, Nobel Active also has less than 2% failure rate overall.

6. yosef k says:

early failures sorry its you. Possibly a bad lot. if hiossen was so good why switch . I ‘d be interested in late failures , Nobel surface and periimplantitis?

7. sb oms says:

The active implant design has changed my practice- for the better.
    It is a brilliant design for extraction sockets and poor density bone. My immediate placement and load success rates are 98% +, and I’m using them in very compromised situations that I would have never thought possible. I do about 250-300 active cases a year.
    I have about 5-6 years of experience with it now.
    It has no business in dense mandibular or maxillary bone. (type 1-2)
    In these situations, you will over drill or under drill- unless you get very lucky, and your implants may fail.
    In these sites use a parallel designed implant and tap the site.

Additionally, keep the active implant away from the facial – lingual bone plate. It should be placed lingual or palatal with a gap.

8. Steve Hurst says:

I help teach a live patient implant program. We place 1500-1700 Nobel implants a year, 45% Active, 45% Replace and 10% Parallel. Our failure rate is the same for each, around 2-3%. Most of our doctors are new to implant dentistry. We do not place Active in dense bone or thin ridges with minimal width due to the aggressive thread design. We are very impressed with Active implants for immediate load. The internal connection is the same for all three. Each one has advantages and disadvantages so I like a mixed inventory. The Active drill kit can be used for the Parallel system. Try trading a few of your Active implants for Parallel. I think you’ll be impressed.

9. Bill McFatter says:

there is some unpublished awareness of failures of tapered implants in grafted bone. It is my understanding there has been an association of implant failures with the compressive nature of the tapered implants You may want to look at these cases and see if there is a commonality in the site from this perspective- just a thought

10. Oleg says:

From my experience with Nobel Active, I used to get crestal bone loss, and loss of integration.
    Compare to other companies I use such as MIS, Zimmer, Dentium, I get great result. I don’t care what anyone will say about these implant companies such as Hiossen and Dentium but placing these implants I don’t have to choose the type of bone I am placing them ( soft or hard) they are always 99.9% integrates and maintaining amazing crestal bone. I know some of you will say let’s se how long they will last. I used to say the same thing 7 years ago, and believe me or not these implants still there and showing amazing results.
    I think Nobel it’s just great advertised company but quality not the best.
    I would recommend following implant companies: MIS, Zimmer, Dentium, these implant companies very easy to use, and great integration.
    Why use Nobel, very complicated, so many instruments and confusing system, if you can use more simple system and achieve amazing result. Things should not be complicated.